BLUENOSE SAILS HALF DONE

Continuing with Bluenose by Amati, before I resume my Mary Rose, the sails are now half finished. The sail material supplied with the kit is minimal, so does not allow for mistakes. As I expected to make numerous mistakes, I decided to buy more than double of what should be needed in a material as close a match to the kit supplied material I could find. This proved to be a wise decision.

The kit suggested making a hem around each sail by super-gluing down a small fold, then super-gluing hemp cord around the edge of this. I didn’t like the idea of all that glue, so cut each sail to size, plus hem, then painted a 2 mm fillet of white PVA glue around the edge of each hem, using a ruler as masking tape. When the glue was dry, my wife folded over the hems, then ironed them in place. This melts the glue temporarily, allowing the fold to stick down. Too much heat burns the glue, so we had to throw a few away before we got it right. She then, skilfully, stitched the hems in place using her sewing machine, plus stitched lines across each sail to mimic the way the full size sail was stitched together, before handing the sail back to me. I then hand stitched the hemp cord around the perimeter, with the occasional help of super-glue. This is a fiddly and very time consuming procedure, but I like the end result. I decided to leave off the telltales.

DSC_3758DSC_3915DSC_3917

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s