SECOND RUN OF FIRST LAYER OF PLANKING

Seven gun ports will be sited in the first run of planking on each side of the model. It’s easier to mark their exact position now than it will be when all the first layer of planking is complete as there are more visible bulkheads to take measurements from. So I’ve done this now, before continuing with the second run of planks, then drilled a 4mm hole to mark the centre of each gun port.

I’ve fitted a plank either side, five plank widths down from the first run, measured from the centre of the hull. As before, I’ve found that the curves of the planks don’t look right in areas near the bow and stern (marked with blue arrows at the bow). It is the same on both sides. I’m using the same method to correct this as I did with the first planks of the first run, by gluing another thickness of lime planking over the top, locally, then sanding down until I get the curve I want. It’s easier to see the curve of the planks when they don’t have planks fitted either side, so I’ll continue this method from now on, so when the first layer of planking is complete I will know that every fifth or sixth plank has the curve to work to. Then I will add wood where needed between them to sand to shape. That’s the plan at the moment, but I am making it up as I go along.

dsc_5215

dsc_5206

dsc_5207

dsc_5208

Advertisements

BLUENOSE SAILS HALF DONE

Continuing with Bluenose by Amati, before I resume my Mary Rose, the sails are now half finished. The sail material supplied with the kit is minimal, so does not allow for mistakes. As I expected to make numerous mistakes, I decided to buy more than double of what should be needed in a material as close a match to the kit supplied material I could find. This proved to be a wise decision.

The kit suggested making a hem around each sail by super-gluing down a small fold, then super-gluing hemp cord around the edge of this. I didn’t like the idea of all that glue, so cut each sail to size, plus hem, then painted a 2 mm fillet of white PVA glue around the edge of each hem, using a ruler as masking tape. When the glue was dry, my wife folded over the hems, then ironed them in place. This melts the glue temporarily, allowing the fold to stick down. Too much heat burns the glue, so we had to throw a few away before we got it right. She then, skilfully, stitched the hems in place using her sewing machine, plus stitched lines across each sail to mimic the way the full size sail was stitched together, before handing the sail back to me. I then hand stitched the hemp cord around the perimeter, with the occasional help of super-glue. This is a fiddly and very time consuming procedure, but I like the end result. I decided to leave off the telltales.

DSC_3758DSC_3915DSC_3917